The camp of Vice President-elect Leni Robredo has announced that her oath-taking will be administered by barangay captain Ronaldo Coner of Punta Tarawal. Many were quite surprised with the announcement as this would be the first time that a Vice President of the Republic of the Philippines will have her oath-taking administered by a barangay captain.
Where is Punta Tarawal? What makes it significant to VP Leni? Who is Ronaldo Coner?
- Punta Tarawal is located at Calabanga, Camarines Sur
- It is the smallest and farthest barangay in the third district of Camarines Sur, the district of VP Leni
- Punta Tarawal is abundant in marine resources
- It is the poorest barangay in Leni Robredo’s bailiwick
- As congresswoman of the district, Leni Robredo has prioritized the construction of a seawall and evacuation center of Punta Tarawal
- Punta Tarawal gave Leni Robredo a landslide win in the 2016 election
Who is Ronaldo Coner?
- Coner is the incumbent barangay captain of Punta Tarawal
- He served as Barangay Kagawad from 1987 – 1993, Barangay Secretary from 1993 – 1996, Barangay Captain from 1996 – 2010, and Barangay Captain from 2013 to 2016
Why is Leni choosing to have her oath-taking administered by a barangay captain? Is this just for show?
Absolutely not! Republic Act No. 10755 authorizes the “punong barangay to administer the oath of office of any government official, including the President of the Republic of the Philippines.